Tuesday, April 5, 2011

You're All I Need To Get By

"You're all I need to get by.
Like the sweet morning dew, I took one look at you,
And it was plain to see, you were my destiny."
                          - You're All I Need To Get By by Marvin Gaye

Knowing someone for as long as I have known Sam, it was hard to choose a song that encompasses ALL of the things that our relationship is about. There are so many different parts to our friendship that I would like to explore in this post, but it would take a lifetime to write (let alone read). I have found that this song speaks to the fact that she is such a large influence in my life. But, in an attempt to keep this just a post and not a novel I have chose to focus on one very, very important aspect of our relationship.

I became friends with Samantha Granger in grade ten and we have been inseparable ever since. It's been almost ten years and our friendship has seen its ups and downs but I know, without any doubt, that she is all I need to get by.

In writing these blog posts dedicated to people in my life I try to pick a song that I know each person enjoys listening too. Sam definitely enjoys the musical talents of the great Marvin Gaye so I am happy to dedicate a post to her using one of his songs.

So, why is Samantha all I need to get by? Well, it's simple really. Remember that post I wrote when I was getting a bit discouraged with my life decisions and I said that there was that voice in my head encouraging me to go on and telling me everything was alright? Basically, Sam is that voice. She keeps me sane. Those of you who know Sam, you might chuckle at this sentiment, because we all know she is a bit off her rocker sometimes. But, the truth of the matter is she is one of the most down-to-earth and levelheaded people I know. Sam has a great attitude towards life. She has fun as often as she can and I have learned so much from her.

I truly believe that a large part of the person I am today can be attributed to the friendship I have maintained with Samantha. I remember when I was in high school - just a shy, soft-spoken girl - I used to find myself in situations where I wanted to step out of my comfort zone to do something and I would convince myself that I should because I would think to myself, If Sam was here, she would do it. I have admired Samantha's fearlessness ever since the moment I met her. She inspired me to create my own unique character. The outgoing, outspoken (and any other adjective you choose to use) girl that I am now has been greatly influenced by my friendship with Miss. Samantha Granger.

"I will go where you lead
Always there in time of need
And when I lose my will
You'll be there to push me up the hill"

Samantha inspired me to discover my true self when I was younger and now she motivates me to stay true to who that person is. She is never short of an encouraging word whenever I am feeling disheartened or frustrated. She always stands behind me in all of my decisions. But it's not because she is one of those flakes who just tell you what you want to hear. I think it's because she trusts that I know what I am doing and she knows that all I need is that little extra boost of confidence to actually carry out whatever it is I was hesitant to do in the first place. See what I mean when I say she is that angelic, uplifting voice in my head?!

"You're all I need to get by.
Like an eagle protects his nest, for you I'll do my best,
Stand by you like a tree, dare anybody to try and move me"

Sam has been such a wonderful, constantly positive influence in my life and as her best friend I do my best to reciprocate her kind efforts. That is why I have always stood by her in everything she goes through in life and vow to keep doing so forever. No matter who walks in and out of our lives, we both know that no one can mess with what we got.

"Don't know what's in store but together we can open any door
Just to do what's good for you and inspire you a little higher"

I can only hope that I am just as good of a friend to you as you are to me, Sam. And I hope that I can give back to you the amount of inspiration that you have given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment