Friday, April 22, 2011

Something In The Way She Moves

"And I feel fine anytime she's around me now,
She's around me now
Almost all the time.
And If I'm well you can tell that she's been with me now"
                                            - Something in the Way She Moves by James Taylor


This song by James Taylor is essentially a love song written about a woman from a man's perspective but that doesn't mean that it can't describe the loving relationship between two friends, right? It's a song about how at ease and happy someone in your life can make you feel and that's exactly what I want to say in this post about my fabulous friend, Cait.
Like it says in the song, any time I am around her I feel fine! Cait's happiness is contagious and you can always be sure to walk away from any time spent with her with a smile on your face. It is always nice to be around Cait because she is the kind of person who likes to see the good in every person and every situation.



"There's something in
the way she moves,
Or looks my way,
or calls my name,
That seems to leave this troubled world behind."




She truly is a breath of fresh air.

And I knew this the moment I met her. I knew right away that we were going to be friends because she is one of my favourite type of people: the type who instantly become your best friend after meeting you! I love those kinds of people! (I have met a few in Scotland too.) With Cait, I had no doubt that we would become best friends and I see no reason how that could ever change.

Thinking about it now, I feel like Cait is my sister - the fourth sister I never had, if you will. We have that kind of indestructible connection that sisters share in the sense that I know, no matter what happens in our lives, we will always be there for each other. Sisters are always sisters no matter what happens just like Cait and I will always be friends no matter where our lives take us.

The more I think about this the more I realize how fitting it is. I have gladly taken on the role of being a sister-like friend to Cait without really recognizing that I was doing so until now. I feel the need to protect her from getting hurt. I am also completely comfortable being brutally honest to her when I believe what I am saying is helpful advice.  Just as a sister does, I try to stand behind Cait in everything that she does and I know that she does the same for me. At the same time, neither of us are afraid to speak up when we disagree with the actions or ideas of the other. I have only known this girl for three years and I have this strong belief that I know what's good for her. If that's not a sisterly relationship than I don't know what is!
I think the fact that we share such a great friendship after a considerably short time of knowing each other can be attributed to the combination of all these characteristics; they all add up to make for one extremely honest and supportive relationship.

"If I'm feeling down and blue,
Or troubled by some foolish game,
She always seems to make me change my mind."

It's this awesome relationship that we have that allows us to spend every minute we are together with smiles on our faces. If one of us is upset about something, we both know that its only a matter of seconds before a shared burst of laughter is in the air. That's what keeps us strong. The way I see it, when you're feeling down, some people have friends they go to to bury their problems, some they go to in search of pity or sympathy, some they go to to confide in. Every one of these are attempts at finding a means to the hopeful end of alleviating one's pain - whatever the nature of that pain may be. I go to Cait to make me feel better - plain and simple. Any of her friends would contest to the fact that being around Cait just makes you feel better. I don't know how else to put it. Hence why I brought in the genius lyrics of the great James Taylor!

"She has the power to go where no one else can find me,
Yes, and to silently remind me
Of the happiness and good times that I know"

Cait isn't afraid to express affection. She isn't afraid to tell me what she thinks I should do in any given situation. Cait carries her maturity well, whilst never letting go of her child within. She wants everyone around her to be happy. She radiates in beams of love and smiles and small acts of kindness. Cait loves going on adventures. And is happy to do whatever will make her friends happy.  And for all of these things, I love her to death! 

And that's why,

"If I'm well you can tell that she's been with me now,
And she's been with me now
Quite a long, long time
And I feel fine."

1 comment:

  1. this is amazzzzzing :) thank you my beccanator! i love your choice of pictures and i love you! miss you

    ReplyDelete