Tuesday, March 22, 2011

My Wish

"My wish, for you,
Is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, and your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold"
                                                 - My Wish by Rascal Flatts

I searched for ages trying to find a song that reflected my personal impression of the lovely Stephanie Sprott. My immediate thought was to find a song from a 90's boy band because that seems to be her desired choice of listening music. But I couldn't find one that dealt with the message I wanted to get across. In order to represent how I feel about Steph, I wanted to find a song that resembled a kind of powerful sense of inspiration. I see Steph as someone who works extremely hard for what she wants. I was looking for a song that took the standpoint of praising someone's initiative in defining their own future by maintaining a clear vision of what they want in life. But the only ones I could find were mostly by the way of feminist or religious perspectives and I didn't want this post to lead in either of those directions. This one, by Rascal Flatts, isn't exactly the kind of song I had been looking for but it comes from a different angle and I think it works perfectly in what I want to say.

I know Steph doesn't really like country music in general, but she has a few tolerable bands and I am pretty sure Rascal Flatts is one of them. So here it is Steph! My post for you, to you, and all about you!

Firstly, let me give a little insight as to why I see what I see in Steph. I met her in first year university when I asked her to curl my hair for the frosh week formal and we became besties right away. After the fun and games of first year, we moved into a house together with 3 other girls (including the aforementioned Cat). Needless to say, as housemates, we had our ups and downs just like anyone else does with a person they live with. But if I am being completely honest here, as Steph and I lived together for those three years we stayed great friends, but we weren't able to really keep that same close bond that we had built up in first year. Looking back on it now I have a theory as to why our relationship has developed the way it has:

Different Priorities.

You see, Steph and I get along great because, on a personality level, we have a lot in common. We are both silly and outrageous at times but also have the reliable capacity to be serious and determined when necessary. But the point at which we differ is our direction in life - hers being well in full motion and mine, well, lacking any direction at all. Steph always had her priorities lined up perfectly. When it was time to buckle down in university, Steph did just that, and she has so much to show for it now. When it was summertime and she needed to make money for next year's tuition, she worked her butt off. While we were in school, she always had her mind set on a goal; she worked hard to structure her life in a certain way so she could work all summer to pay for school so she could spend the school year concentrating on getting the grades to maintain her scholarship. She had it all figured out - with a solid vision of her successful future. I don't think I ever really got that, until now. I was always slagging her for spending too much time on homework and caring too much about marks. But now I understand the importance behind her solid work ethic and her pristine grade average. She is kicking butt doing her Master's right now! She has always had this idea of the life that she wants for herself and kudos to her for being well on her way there. I have never had such a clear vision for my own life, and I regret trying to find fault in her chosen lifestyle. I know now that we were just two different types of university students, and that is clearly reflected in the way our past decisions have lead us to our present lives.


So, I bet you've been wondering when I was going to finally bring the song into the post! Well, like it says in the chorus of the song that I wrote up on the top of the post, my wish for Steph is that her life becomes all that she wants it to. She has always had high hopes for where she wants to be in life and I hope she never loses sight of those. I hope she stays her youthful and fun-loving self all the while. I hope that all the hard work that she puts into making a life for herself pays off in a really big way someday. I know that it will, because Steph knows how to manage her life with a positive outlook.

"And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window,
If it's cold outside, show the world the warmth of your smile, "

Like I said before, Steph always had her priorities straight, so I don't have to reiterate the idea behind this verse in the song because I know that she abides by it anyway.

"if you're faced with a choice, and you have to choose,
I hope you choose the one that means the most to you"

This verse also speaks to what I want to mention as my final and foremost point.  I don't want to leave out the fact that aside from her determined focus on a successful future, Steph has an unwavering dedication to her friendships. She is the kind of friend who is never afraid to show affection and speak up about how she feels about her friends. She knows what being a good friend means when it comes to dependency and loyalty. Steph is the kind of friend that I know, no matter what we go through together (ie: near death experiences) she will always be there to listen, give advice, or just blow off steam with. I think it says a lot that even though I live on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean I still talk to Steph virtually everyday. Like I said, our friendship has had its ups and downs, but we're in it for the long haul Sprott!

And don't forget...

"And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish."







1 comment:

  1. I like this post, Bex! I agree with everything you said. Love you Stephy! You really are a wonderful person and friend.

    xx

    ReplyDelete