Tuesday, March 8, 2011

New Shoes

"Hey, I put some new shoes on,
And suddenly everything is right,
I said, hey, I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling,
It so inviting"
                    - New Shoes by Paolo Nutini

As you might have been able to tell in my last post, in the past couple of weeks I have been feeling in a bit of a rut. So in order to boost my morale I decided to take on the fun task of being more active and healthy! One component of this new health kick is going to involve going for runs at least 3 times a week! But I had no running shoes, so yesterday I went out and bought some proper running shoes. I don't really have the money for them but I decided they were an important investment. I went into a running shop and had my feet measured in every way possible (first time doing that - and long overdue I think). Subsequently, I purchased a pair of running shoes that are a perfect fit for my feet.

This song is a great depiction of what these new shoes represent for my life right now.

"Oh, short on money,
But long on time,
Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine,
And I'm running late,
And I dont need an excuse,
'cause I'm wearing my brand new shoes"

I used my new shoes for the first time today and went for a walk up Blackford Hill with Mox. It was insanely windy but we went anyway. The view was gorgeous from the top! It's so great to be able to climb different hills and see the city and surrounding landscape from various angles. Next, I am going to tackle Calton Hill!

*sidenote*
These new shoes also came into my life at a great time. Coincidentally, Lent starts tomorrow so I'll have another incentive to stick to my running and staying healthy regime. 

I was just so happy with my new shoes today. They seem to be so much more than just shoes to me. They inspire a much-needed boost in my life; a reason to get out and enjoy my time here in Edinburgh. Today, after descending from Blackford Hill, Mox and I just walked around the streets south of the area where I live - somewhere we had yet to venture to. It's crazy how much I am loving this town. It's getting up there along with Kingston! We found great little shops and cafes and it reminded me that I don't have to have money to enjoy living here. I am quite content in just taking a day to explore the streets and window shop. There is so much of this beautiful city that I am so excited to see!

"Take me wandering through these streets,
Where bright lights and angels meet,
Stone to stone they take me on,
I'm walking to the break of dawn"

I'm strappin' on my new shoes and feeling good about my new goals. I'm going to stomp all over that voice in my head that's telling me I'm accomplishing nothing here. I am going to be active, be healthy, and see as much of my new home as possible!

"Hello new shoes, bye bye them blues"




(I am not posting any pictures from my trip up Blackford Hill because the weather wasn't so great, so I'll just have to go up another day when it's sunny to get better pictures)

1 comment: