Friday, January 7, 2011

Feeling Good

"Birds flying high, you know how I feel
Sun in the sky, you know how I feel
Breeze driftin’ on by, you know how I feel
It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me
And I’m feeling good!"
-    Feeling Good by Michael Buble

Today I found a home. At last.
All day yesterday, after seeing approximately 10 flats across the city of Edinburgh, I was getting rather discouraged and exhausted in this endeavour. Granted, I had only looked for 2 days but it’s really tiring! I went back on www.gumtree.com and www.spareroom.co.uk, contacted about 7 more people and scheduled more viewings for the next day. I went to bed, repeatedly telling myself to keep my spirits high and reassuring myself that something will come up. But it was difficult believing this after what had happened last night. I had found a really nice place with a large window – access to the roof, another fireplace and very pleasant potential flatmates. They had a few more people coming for viewings but I did my best to convince them that I was the best candidate for the room. Later on in the evening I got a text saying that they had told their landlady about me but she would not allow me to take the room since I did not yet have a job. My plan was to get a home then a job. Now I was beginning to think that I had planned it all out backwards. I really wanted the room so I asked for the landlady’s number so I could assure her that I had the money to get me by in the first few months and that I had full intentions on seeking employment immediately. But – no dice. The girl leaving the room wanted to get the searching for a replacement over with last night and wouldn’t waste anymore of her time with me. So, upon receiving that strongly-worded text I felt the oh-too-familiar waft of feeling homeless thrust itself upon me once again. But tomorrow is a new day!

“Sleep in peace when day is done that’s what I mean,
And this old world is a new world and a full world for me.”

This morning, feeling a renewal of spirits, I woke up in time to get ready for my 9:30am viewing just down the road from where I am currently couchsurfing. To spare you the boring details, I showed up, saw the room and the whole flat (spacious and clean), liked it a lot, met the landlady, hurried across the street to take out some deposit money, handed her 50 pounds to hold the room for me, and tomorrow morning at 11:30am I move in! While she was busy informing the 5 other people she had scheduled viewings with that the room had been taken, I was down the street in a Costa coffee shop sipping on a mocha informing the 6 other people I had scheduled viewings with that I found a home!
Walking back to my temporary home, this song was playing in my head.

“Oh freedom is mine and I know how I feel,
It’s a new dawn it’s a new day it’s a new life,
And I’m feeling good!”

Now to print off about a gazillion resumes and start looking for a job!
(I will post pictures of the inside of the place tomorrow after I have moved in!)

1 comment: