Monday, January 3, 2011

The Beauty of Uncertainty

Due to a lack of access to the internet I have not been able to keep up to date with my blogging but I intend on catching up with the next few blogs that I write.

"I need no protection from my bullet-proof plan."
                                 - The Beauty of Uncertainty by KT Tunstall

I have been a fan of KT Tunstall's music for several years now and I have especially loved this particular song. As most of my friends know, I have the habit of being obsessed with knowing lyrics and placing more importance on what songs are actually saying than anything else about them. But in the case of this song, I have always loved listening to it without even thinking about what it means. That is, until I decided to move to another country and start a new life by myself on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean. Coincidentally, KT Tunstall hails from the same country I am moving to - Scotland!
As I walked around Edinburgh, checking out the city that I am about to move to I realised how much uncertainty there is in my future; and how excited I am that I am completely unsure of what is about to happen in my life.
This song rang true even more after I had found the most perfect flat and called the search off only to find out a few days later that the letting agency wanted me to give them way too much money up front. So, although for a moment I was certain I was going to stay at the most beautiful, spacious flat with a great location and a fireplace, I was wrong. And now, the search continues.

"I've got a ticket for all that I lack.
You might think that I'm always gone but I know that I'm coming back."

This verse comes to mind when I look at all the criteria and requirements that each flat listing entails. When Tunstall talks about having a ticket for all that she lacks, I think that it means that she acknowledges her imperfections and failings and is taking full ownership for these limitations. In my case, I hold a ticket for all the money I lack! This makes it less easy to find a nice flat to move in to. However, there are several places that are within a reasonable price range, I just have to spend more time looking and sending emails. The second half of this verse is kind of funny when placed in my case because everyone knows that whenever I go away on these little travels I always end up coming home. That won't change this time around. I know I'm coming back - and so does everyone else!
But nobody knows when!
Oh the Beauty of Uncertainty!

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, that must have been a frustrating phone call. I'm looking forward to hearing about the flat you find...can you post pics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will definitely post a few pictures once i find my dream flat!!

    ReplyDelete