Sunday, January 2, 2011

Blackbird

“You were only waiting for this moment to arrive”
                                                      - Blackbird by The Beatles

I haven’t written a post in a while because I have been so busy.
I was in London for 5 days last week and I got to walk across the Abbey Road crossing outside the Beatles’ Abbey Road Studios. So I decided it was only fitting that I use a Beatles song for my post on my London visit.
I am not quite sure what the actually context of this song is or what it is supposed to mean but I tend to hear songs the way I want and relate them my own life. This tune speaks to me as a song about freedom and new horizons. Hence, another reason why I chose to use it for this post.
Being the first stop of my trip, London was the beginning of my

“Blackbird singing in the dead of night.”

To me, singing in the dead of night means entering into something that is lifeless and taking on the responsibility of adding life to it. In other words, this trip to Europe and my life hereon is only as exciting and interesting as I make it. I have the intentions of making the most of my travels and I think I am doing a pretty good job at doing so.
While I was in London with Calla and Natalie I got to see so many beautiful and interesting things: Buckingham Palace, the London Eye, Big Ben and the Parliament Buildings, St. Paul’s Cathedral, all the funky bridges, Trafalgar Square, Westminster Abbey, Abbey Road, and the walk along Southbank was especially delightful. Check out my pictures of some of these pretty sights.

“Take these broken wings and learn to fly.”
                                    
Now I’m not going to take this part to be all melodramatic and say that I was broken and this trip is mending me or something. However, I do see this line to be a bit metaphorical of my situation before boarding that plane to Europe. I wasn’t “broken” whatsoever. I was happy being home and keeping a busy life working two jobs. But I had a goal in mind when I moved back to the farm: To stay there for only a few months – enough time to save up some money to buy a flight to a new adventure. So, to relate this verse to my life, living my normal, same old same old life back home was in a sense being grounded with broken wings. And so, learning to fly would be gathering up the courage to eventually venture out once I had the means to do so. Consequently, here I am no longer “waiting for this moment to arise” for I am in said moment now.

And off "into the light of the dark black night" I go!


1 comment:

  1. Fly birdie fly!
    Love the pics...please keep posting pics. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete