Saturday, May 21, 2011

Take Me Home Country Roads

"Country Roads, take me home
To the place I belong"
                  - Take Me Home Country Roads by John Denver

I am coming home in 3 days!

Just for a short visit, but still, I am super excited!

In addition to spending time with my wonderful friends and family there is one thing that I am dying to do when I get back - drive my dad's truck down the dirt roads, in my bare feet, with the windows down, blaring country music, taking in the beautiful scenery and fresh air of Wolfe Island.

"The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin down the road I get a feelin
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday"

It sounds a bit silly, I know, but driving down those country roads is something that I can't get enough of. When I am away from home and listen to country music I picture myself behind the wheel and cruising alongside fields and farmhouses. When I am home and able to bring that dream back to life I can't ignore the fact that it gives me this indescribable euphoric feeling. I just belt out that Faith Hill song with a big smile on my face like nothing could ever go wrong. (Well, unless some sort of wildlife decides to jump out of the bush.)

So, I am coming home! Can't wait for all that is in store! Babies! Bonfires! Friends! Family! The Farm! The Fields! The Food I miss! Like chocolate milk! Man, I could go for some good chocolate milk right now.

I'm just so excited for the comfortable feeling that being home gives me.

"Life is old there
Older than the trees
Younger than the mountains
Growin like a breeze"

It's this same kind of feeling of being old but new at the same time. The Wolfe Island lifestyle feels old because it's a small, tight-knit community where everyone knows everyone's business and no one is too busy to lend a helping hand. But it also brings me a feeling of youth because when I am home I am the farmer's daughter, just another kid from that large, farming, Dutch family up the road. I love the idea that on those country roads I have a clear sense of who I am as who everyone knows me to be. It's easy to lose that sense of self when you're off living in a new place surrounded by new people.

So, I am going home! I'm ready for a good dosage of all the good things that home has to offer. I am ready to feel completely comfortable in my surroundings. I am ready to have fun! And I am ready to leave again to come back to Scotland with a renewed self-awareness and confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment