Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I Hope You Dance

"I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger...
And if you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance."
                                - I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack

I chose to use this song for my first blog for many reasons.
This past summer I had a discussion with a couple of my friends who were not too partial to this song and not so convinced by its obvious inspirational value. I, on the other hand, see this song to be very uplifting and inspiring. So naturally I fought for the integrity of this lovely ballad but in the end we just had to agree to disagree. So this blog is for you guys! You know who you are and I hope I can still try to change your mind!
The second reason I chose this song is because it was my grade 8 graduation song (inspirational, right?) To accompany the motivating message of this tune, my grade 8 teacher read aloud the Dr. Seuss book Oh, the Places You'll Go!
This book's beginning lines are so perfect for me as I sit in the Toronto airport...

"Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!"

The messages of both the song and the book that my teacher chose to use are clear.
They encourage us to get up and do something fulfilling with our life. Lee Ann Womack's words,

"I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean"

is one of my favourite verses. It helps us to keep our modesty in check and reminds us to stay humble.
The line,

"Life's a great balancing act!"

in Dr. Seuss's book is also a reminder to keep grounded.


Another line in Womack's song that I would like to recognize states,

"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking."

This verse especially speaks to me while I sit in this airport, waiting to board my flight. Although I have sorted out a lot of what is going to happen in the first two weeks when I arrive in Europe, it's not in my nature to have everything planned out perfectly. So, those "mountains in the distance", well, I'm not afraid of them, but I am curious as to what adventures they have in store for me!

So, here I am. Not sitting it out. I'm dancing!



Just a quick point-form list of my plans thus far:

Dec 22nd - fly to London, meet Calla (friend from home), meet Milo(friend from cherry picking and London resident) for lunch and sightseeing, stay at Sami's (couchsurfer friend) www.couchsurfing.org
Dec 23rd - meet up with Natalie (bestie from university) and more sightseeing
Dec 24th - say goodbye to Calla :( and check in to Clink hostel (www.clinkhostels.com/) for Christmas Eve!
Dec 25th - spend Christmas in London with bestie Natalie
Dec 26th - take 9hr bus ride from London, England to Edinburgh, Scotland
Dec 26th-28th - view potential homes and meet potential flatmates whilst staying with Cam (another couchsurfer friend)
Dec 29th - fly from Edinburgh, Scotland to Dublin, Ireland
Dec 29th-Jan 2nd - sightseeing and partying in Dublin to bring in the new year right!
Jan 3rd - say goodbye to Natalie as she returns to her aupair job in France
Jan 3rd-5th - spend a little more time with my friends in Dublin
Jan 5th - fly from Dublin, Ireland back to Edinburgh, Scotland, move in, and begin my Scottish life!

Thanks for taking the time to read my first blog post! 

ta ta for now!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that song and it's a great choice for your first post. Looking forward to reading much much more!

    ReplyDelete